Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday 28 December 2008

Annual Open

I just reached home not long ago, looking more tanned and, tired? I don't look tired, but I have been going home late for the past couple of days. And sleeping late for some nights. Not to mention strange but sweet dreams.

Warning: Post few can relate to... =/
Today was the Annual Archery Open/Junior Championships 2008, held at ZhengHua National Archery Range (which was just some random field in the Choa Chu Kang area). Dad and I had fun searching for the place in the morning, swearing at some guy who gave wrong directions. Turns out we have to turn into Bukit Panjang Road from Woodlands Road, then turn left again into Bukit Panjang Ring Road (encircled by Bukit Panjang LRT system).

The lethargy didn't get to me today! All my focus was either diverted by my nervousness, or concentrated at the target paper. I was sandwiched by 2 guys from NJC. Their blog: NJC Archery. The left-handed guy is Ghim Siang, and Detail A is Marcus. I got the middle target - the one at eye level! =D But I guess I let myself down anyway, even with a position I liked. My drawing arm was shaking during the sighter rounds, partly because I was unfamiliar with competition routine. But the setting was good in the sense that left-handers would not face the sun. I had my right retina scorched after half an hour baking in the sun rays. But I got into the situation quickly. I was wearing the PPCC words above my heart, I felt that I couldn't let Mr Tang, Coach Sunny, Sarvesh and the rest of the archers down.

I promise that I tried my best, but I just wasn't good enough - yet. I'm not a good archer because I panic easily. I suppose I exercise my heart by getting panicky (could help with my blood pressure?). The panic sends my knees knocking together, and if I was facing a good archer I will be affected. But today I wasn't affected by this.

I did a follow-up on my mistakes, and the main one is the release, but it is a major mistake, because I'm using too much strength from my drawing fingers. They shouldn't be feeling the strain. That will affect the release. My bow-arm was perfect today though.

I learnt a lesson today. Archery is competitive, but only within yourself. I lost to a hell lot of archers, but I lost to myself today. When you draw the arrow, you have no extra focus left to watch others. You focus, on that yellow spot. Then with a cool head and some gut feel, you go for a smooth release: 稳如山,静如石,顺如风