Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday 12 February 2010

Typing at a quiet bus-stop in sengkang

The silence - occasionally disrupted by the few cars making their way to and from various destinations - makes me fear that I have missed the last bus. But the board behind me clearly indicated that the last buses were at least 15 minutes away.

Today concludes my job as beer promoter/merchandiser. My adventurous mission began when I initially picked the longest schedule available so that I will have more of my lonesome days occupied. But one day into my job at shengsiong tekka I was more or less compelled to make a temporal transfer to shengsiong tanjong katong. Then after another three days I was told to stop work for four days, and get transferred to a new location. I was worried, and blamed my poor promoting skillz, but I later discovered a greater truth, and a more logical reason for my transfers. Also, so much for signing a bloody contract. A very versatile contract!

Back to today: I was deployed at Rivervale Mall, a ghost town mall on first impression. Today was my last day, and the day I lose my penknife (a rather prized possession I have come to appreciate). NTUC was more sai gang then shengsiong outlets, but at least there were people to talk to and guide you. A promoter I was less, a merchandiser and a coolie I was more of. Beer seemed to come everyday in hundreds of cartons, and just today we shelved 150 cartons of tiger beer, while yesterday was an amalgam of Leo, GFES, Carlsberg, Chang, Baron's, Tiger (120 cartons) and Jolly Shandy, in quarts, singles or tall cans.

I was somewhat sad to leave, although the job was rather lousy, but there were some friends made, like marigold, yeos and carlsberg. There was also a pretty cashier and pretty customers whom I am not allowed to check out. Also, auntie in charge of us was funny and nice.

Oh, and I strongly believed that the reason of my transfer was that a guy was needed at where I was deployed, to carry heavy beer. And yes, my muscles have become more taut and bigger after carrying those damn cans and bottles!

P.S. Never go for agencies! They eat part of your pay and give you ridiculous break time slots that are impossible to follow.