Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday 28 June 2012

16 July

The horizons appear much brighter when you have things to look forward to do. Even apparently mundane tasks like clearing out your desk and wardrobe, refiling your paperwork and throwing out the clutter. Which is what I am going to do later tonight and tomorrow onward, hopefully finishing next week and preparing for the return to academics. Clothes in good condition that haven't been worn for months are GOING (to the Salvation Army). Waste papers on the desk are GOING (to the karung guni). The miscellaneous trash is GOING (to be binned - what else?). My life is GOING (to be an uphill battle).

When it comes to education, I am not a savvy investor. I have once been included in a collective rebuke - labelled as 'having no sense of ownership' by an infuriated educator. Apparently a monthly school fee of about thirty dollars was insufficient to wake up my idea, such that the current situation asks for more than five thousand a semester to keep me awake to reality. I did not appreciate the high quality of education provided to me at a low cost of one dollar a day back then; now I have to pay a handsome sum for one that is unlikely to be in the better segment of Singapore's market. I am not comparing the dollar-for-dollar value of pre-university and university education, just that if I have done better in pre-university I will certainly be forking out lesser monies right now.

Keeping in mind that I am paying more for a tertiary education than most of my friends out there, while receiving one that is unlikely to be better than what they are receiving, AND considering the fact that I am signing myself up for a life that is meaningful but unprofitable, do you believe me now when I say I am not a savvy investor?

That is the economic part, which will probably follow me into my future rat race. It's time to straighten out my finances before it's too late; to make an attempt to break from the inevitable bread-and-butter forces that will push me toward the path that my parents have taken.