Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday 27 January 2012

Decisions, ulcers, and growing out

I have once, or twice, remarked to my cadets that "the only easy day was yesterday"; yet these supposedly easy days contain memories that keep coming back to haunt me.

-§-

I successfully rigged my notebook to send video signals to my TV yesterday, by chance. Was so happy that I did a mini celebration by lying on the floor, looking up at the star- ceiling, and heaving a great sigh of relief. The harsh truth was that the computer rookie in me did not know how to change the settings for the video card so that it sends 1080p digitised signals to the TV, so my solution was to restart into OS X and change the settings there. It took me a minute or two to do it and then, I rebooted the system back into Windows and voila! Something that took me a couple of minutes in OS X took me 15 in Windows, and still couldn't get it to work. The only blame is on me, for using Windows on a Mac, without bothering to map the keyboard too.

So... The point is, I can now fully exploit the bigger screen my TV offers, to watch videos online. And if you want to, you can drop by my house to watch 'stuff' with me. ^^ Keep the unserviceable guy company, you know.

I had the honour of having Elvis and Tommy for companionship at The Meds at Orchard Central B2 for dinner tonight. I guess the conclave was not feeling ravenous as we did not order much nor were we feeling very adventurous. Mr E chose a Turkish hot plate chicken and mushroom, with tomato rice. Mr S placed an order for a thin-crust seabream and tomato pizza, Italian style. I felt indecisive and went for duck confit from the ?French? stall. Tiramisu and creme bulee to wash it down afterwards.

The tomato rice might have been authentic Italian food, but it didn't agree with our taste-buds. There is a butter rice alternative, which might have been a safer bet. According to Mr S, the seabream (some kind of fish) on the pizza tasted like chicken. I didn't like the look of the thin crust as I was a fan of Pizza Hut's thick, cheesy Pan Pizzas. The duck came with some unnamed vegetables, cheese, and a sprinkle of peanuts that taste better when consumed together with the duck. Overall, food was average and not too costly. There is no additional 10% service charge, only GST.

I don't know what is Mediterranean cuisine, but Wikipedia tells me it should be vegetable-dominant, and Meds was certainly not vegetable-dominant (good!). Shokudo beats Meds in term of variety, but it is still a pretty good place for a gathering of friends.

Cheers!