Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday 17 January 2013

Salmon Mentai

I ate at Sushi Tei for the first time on Monday. I always wondered why the queue there was always so long. We were there slightly ahead of dinner hours, so there were plenty of seats. What I found annoying was the server expecting you to order a drink before you even had a chance to look at the menu. I decided on two salmon-ish dishes: Salmon mentai (loved this after eating salmon mentai sushi) and a salmon wrap with golden mushrooms. Ice cream-like dessert. Wonderful meal at less than 25 dollars per pax; it is a decent eat-out once in a while.

Afterwards we went to look for Blackball, a new dessert shop in Singapore, with a branch at Bugis+ as well as Star Vista. I was expecting lots of 芋圆, like the shop in Jiufen, Taiwan, but it was nothing like that. $4.90, and you get lots of grass jelly, two yam balls, one yam dice, one pumpkin chunk and some pearls. Pretty pathetic, and if you ask me, they have got the formula wrong. Pearl and grass jelly are so commonplace here, they shouldn't be the mains; the yam balls and whatnot should be the focus in this dessert. I don't think Blackball will be a hit in Singapore.